You might be wondering if a river cruise is right for you - and you might also be wondering what to expect from this type of vacation. When one hears the word 'cruise', most people’s minds immediately head to large oceanic cruises. But river cruises are becoming more and more popular, due to the exciting places they can take you and the first-class comfort they can provide.
We'll answer some common questions we get regarding river cruises, to help you determine whether one may be your next European adventure.
- What are the benefits of small-ship cruising? Traveling through small waterways and rivers is a great way to get to know European cities more intimately than ever before. You’re given a perspective that you wouldn’t get traveling on foot. It's also important to note that traveling with smaller groups allows you to visit different cities and towns without disrupting the local community or culture.
- Is there a certain dress code on or off the boat? Comfort is key when it comes to river cruises, both on and off the boat. It's important to be prepared for any type of weather condition, from rain to shine. You also may passing through different cities and towns that you’ll want to explore, so comfortable walking shoes are a must. Bring formal wear if you plan on attending any events in the cities you pass through, such as a ballet or fine dining.
- What are some great ways to prepare for my river cruise? It's best to read up on the areas you'll be visiting. There are many books and blogs written about European cities, and the more you know, the better you’ll be prepared to take advantage of every opportunity available.
- What type of food should I expect on-board? Most river cruises provide you with fresh, locally sourced food prepared by classically trained chefs. Expect food that reflects the area you’re visiting, as well as Western dishes.
- Should I expect lots of walking on this trip? River cruises travel from city to city, and when exploring these cities, you'll most often get the best experience via walking tours. Expect cobblestones and uneven pavement. You may even be hiking or traveling up steep hills frequently. It’s important to bring suitable shoes when on a river cruise.
Be sure to reach out to your travel agent to get any additional information you may need before venturing out on your upcoming river cruise - that’s what they’re there for!